THE MARVELLOUS ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE OF BUTHROTUM
We travel back in time as we visit the marvellous archaeological site of Buthrotum, declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site, where countless well-preserved remains retrace its remote yet charming past.
What we will see
- Buthrotum archaeological site
- Greek acropolis and theatre
- Roman spa and baptistery
- Ksamil: refreshments
- Free stroll in Sarandë
What we will do
- We leave the port of Sarandë behind us by coach and reach the city of Buthrotum, one of the most ancient Greek colonies and now a charming combination of archaeology and unspoilt nature.
- We visit the marvellous archaeological site of Buthrotum, declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site where countless well-preserved remains retrace its remote past.
- They include the Greek acropolis with its evocative and lavishly decorated architecture as well as the Greek theatre dating back to the 3rd century B.C.
- There are also Roman ruins that are just as spectacular, such as the public spa decorated with magnificent geometrical mosaics and the 6th-century baptistery in the woods and still displaying luxurious mosaic decorations.
- After visiting the archaeological site, we continue our tour towards Ksamil, a renowned seaside resort not far from Sarandë where we enjoy refreshments in a local bar*.
- We then head back to Sarandë, built in a horseshoe shape above the ruins of an ancient Roman colony. It is now a lively seaside resort lapped by marvellous crystal-clear waters.
- Once off the coach, we have some free time available to explore the city centre at our own leisure in search of the most beautiful monuments, enjoy a spot of shopping or simply take in the marvellous sea views.
What you need to know
Note: The tour by coach is partly on winding, not asphalted roads, The visit to the archaeological site is on foot, guests are advised to wear comfortable shoes and clothing.