THE HEART OF FUERTEVENTURA
Sightseeing, Cultural, Drink included
Amidst mountains and volcano cones that characterize the arid landscape of the island's hinterland covered in volcanic dust, we set off to discover the local traditions of Fuerteventura, its artistic crafts and its typical products, taking the opportunity to sample a few.
What we will see
- La Alcogida Ecomuseum
- Meeting the locals and tasting traditional specialities
- Casa Santa Maria and multimedia presentation
- Aloe vera plantation with demonstration
What we will do
- We set off from Puerto del Rosario by coach, and head inland to the La Alcogida Ecomuseum.
- The museum consists of seven dwellings that showcase Fuerteventura's traditional architecture. Each one of the houses displays exhibits that recreate the daily routine of the island's inhabitants: traditional games, handicrafts, livestock and farming equipment, artefacts that bear witness to the rural lifestyle that was predominant here in the 19th century.
- The museum offers a unique opportunity to learn about the laborious work and methods employed by a population that successfully adapted to life on this arid island.
- Our visit ends with an opportunity to meet the local inhabitants and sample some traditional, local specialities, not least some excellent honey rum.
- Our excursion continues with a visit to the Casa Santa Maria a beautifully refurbished 17th-century farmstead in the heart of Betancuria, which houses a museum dedicated to the artisan handicrafts of the Canary Islands.
- Here we can watch a wide-screen, multimedia presentation featuring recent images of the island's unspoilt natural wonders and secret treasures.
- The last leg of our journey takes us to an aloe vera plantation, exploiting the particularly favourable Fuerteventura climate characterized by steady temperatures and low rainfall. Here we have the opportunity to watch a demonstration of the medicinal properties of this remarkable plant.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.