A TRIP TO SORRENTO
Sightseeing, Shopping, Lunch not included
An excursion to discover a jewel of the Gulf of Naples: wonderful Sorrento, with its narrow streets and little squares that have won the hearts of countless visitors.
What we will see
- Piazza Tasso
- Sedil Dominova
- The Church of Saint Francis
- Marina Grande
What we will do
- We leave the Port of Naples and we head for the motorway, making our way through the towns surrounding Vesuvius to reach Sorrento, the most beautiful and famous of the towns on the eponymous peninsula and one of the jewels of the Gulf of Naples. According to the legend, it is in these waters around Sorrento that the sirens tried to lure Ulysses with their enchanting song.
- Having reached Sorrento, we start our walking tour through the narrow streets, old decumani (east-west oriented roads) that have now been brought to life by the many shops displaying their merchandise. We then follow a route from Piazza Tasso where there is a statue of Torquato Tasso the famous Italian poet from Sorrento up to the Sedil Dominova (the seat of power), which represents the old "seat" where the nobility met to administer the city in the 15th century. Subsequently we admire the Cathedral and the Church of Saint Francis with its adjoining cloister and gardens from where we behold the splendid panorama of Marina Grande, Sorrento's own fishing port.
- At this point, before going back to the ship, there is some free time that can be dedicated to shopping, to tasting the famous limoncello liqueur made with local lemons, or simply to enjoying the fascinating atmosphere of a place which, not by coincidence, is known around the world and appreciated by tourists for its natural and artistic beauty and its traditions.
- Did you know? According to popular etymology, the place name "Sorrento" derives from "Sirenide", which was possibly a name attributed to this area in ancient times because of the legendary sirens of Homeric tradition.
What you need to know
- This excursion involves a lot of walking, it is therefore not recommended for guests with mobility problems.