ROMAN TREASURES: VATICAN MUSEUMS, ST. PETER'S, THE COLOSSEUM AND THE FORUM
Cultural, Meal included
Pagan Rome and Christian Rome: the two faces of the city's millenarian history. We are taking a trip back in time to discover the greatness of Ancient Rome and the magnificence of the Popes, admiring the legacy of the art and architecture that has been handed down to us.
What we will see
- Vatican City, Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel
- St. Peter's Square and St. Peter's Basilica
- Colosseum, Arch of Constantine, Roman Forum
- Piazza Venezia, Altare della Patria (National Monument to Victor Emmanuel II) and Capitoline Hill
What we will do
We leave the port and travel by luxury coach to Rome, the cradle of civilization, where we are met by our local guide .
- Our journey to discover the treasures of the City starts with the Vatican Museums which showcase masterpieces and priceless art collections that are the result of the Popes' cultural patronage over the centuries. Our excursion includes priority entrance to the Museums so there is no waiting or queuing.
- Our guide accompanies us to discover the magnificent works on display, which range from Classical to Renaissance masterpieces. The highlight of the itinerary is the Sistine Chapel, dominated by Michelangelo's famous "Last Judgement", in addition to frescoes by great artists such as Botticelli, Ghirlandaio and Perugino.
- When we come out we cannot fail to spend some time in St. Peter's Square embraced by Bernini's Colonnade and dominated by the imposing structure of St. Peter's Basilica. This immense church, the largest in the world, was built on the site of St. Peter's tomb and houses extraordinary art treasures ranging from the Renaissance to the Baroque period.
- For lunch we make our way to a restaurant to sample some Roman specialities. After lunch, we move on to the Colosseum, one of the seven wonders of the modern world, the amphitheatre that was the symbol of Rome's greatness, caput mundi, where the bloody battles between gladiators and wild animals were held (tour of the exterior).
- From here, we take a real walk back in time: the majestic Arch of Constantine and the imposing ruins of the Forum, on to Piazza Venezia, where the Altare della Patria stands, and then Capitoline Hill, Michelangelo's masterpiece, where we finally bid farewell to the Eternal City.
What you need to know
- The transfer to Rome takes approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. The tour involves long distances on foot, it is therefore recommended to wear comfortable shoes. Dress code that is appropriate for the places of worship to be visited is recommended. The excursion is reserved for guests who do not disembark at Civitavecchia.
- During religious functions the visit to the Basilica will only be a tour of the exterior.
- On 29th March the visit to the Basilica will only be a tour of the exterior.