TOUR OF ANCIENT AND MODERN ROME
Sightseeing, Cultural, Shopping, Packed lunch
Adagio Tour is an experience created in collaboration with Costa Crociere Foundation and Aism to meet the needs of guests who would like a “slower” pace to better savour the stops and their sights on itineraries with minimum architectural barriers. The "Adagio Tour" version of this excursion is available exclusively on Costa Diadema.
Moving around by coach and on foot, accompanied by our guide but also free to explore various areas of the capital, this tour is a journey of discovery of one of the most beautiful cities in the world where history and culture merge together as if by magic.
What we will see
- Castel Sant'Angelo and Via della Conciliazione
- St. Peter's Square, Bernini's Colonnade and St. Peter's Basilica
- Trevi Fountain
- Colosseum, Circus Maximus and the Pyramid of Cestius
What we will do
- We leave Civitavecchia by coach for Rome and start our day in the Eternal City admiring some of its most famous monuments and squares: accompanied by an expert guide, we drive past Castel Sant’Angelo, originally built as a mausoleum and used over the centuries as a Papal residence, law courts, a fortress and also a prison, and along Via della Conciliazione, linking Italy with the Vatican State.
- We go over the thin strip of travertine marble that is the line of demarcation between the two states and find ourselves in St. Peter's Square, the universal centre of Christianity where we have some free time to take pictures and admire architectural masterpieces such as Bernini's Colonnade and St. Peter's Basilica. The distance between the coach drop-off point and St. Peter’s colonnade is of approximately 700 m with even ground. The priority entrance is located on the right of the metal detectors. Ramps and a lift reserved to visitors with mobility problems can be used to access the Basilica.
- The tour proceeds to the Trevi Fountain, one of the most famous fountains in the world. We are free to explore the area, do some shopping and take advantage of the break to enjoy some wonderful Italian cuisine for lunch in one of the many local restaurants and trattorie.
- In the afternoon, our guide takes us on a panoramic coach tour dedicated to the treasures of ancient Rome.
- We drive past the Colosseum, one of the seven wonders of the modern world and the amphitheatre that is symbol of the greatness of Rome caput mundi, the Circus Maximus where horse-drawn chariot races were held, and the Pyramid of Cestius, an Egyptian style funerary monument built in the 1st century BC.
- The excursion ends with our return to Civitavecchia with the memory of an unforgettable day.
What you need to know
- This tour includes a basket lunch selected by our ship staff.
- Interior tours are not included.
- The transfer to Rome takes approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Dress code that is appropriate for the places of worship to be visited is recommended.
- Disable guests need to be escorted by an accompanying person.
- For those guests with wheel chair, the reservation of the Adagio tour need to be done exclusively through your cruise reservation agent.