EXPERIENCE TOUR: ROME AND THE COLOSSEUM
Cultural, Fishing, Meal included
An emblem of the splendour of the Empire, the Colosseum is a MUST for anyone visiting Rome. We go inside this great monument to discover its secrets and to relive the excitement experienced by spectators two thousand years ago. The excursion ends with a visit to another symbolic place representing a different face of the city: St. Peter's Basilica.
What we will see
- Colosseum (tour of the interior)
- Lunch in a typical restaurant
- St. Peter's Basilica
What we will do
- We board the coach and relax on our trip to Rome.
- When we arrive in the city centre we are met by our local guide who accompanies us to the Colosseum, one of the seven wonders of the modern world and one of the first Italian sites to be declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Built at the behest of Emperor Vespasian and subsequently inaugurated by Emperor Titus, even today the Colosseum is a most impressive building, the biggest amphitheatre in the world, and standing in front of it, it is easy to imagine the clamour of the crowd, the packed spectator stands and the spectacular performances that were organized in Ancient Rome
- We enter the building to admire the area around the central arena, the auditorium, that was once covered by spectator stands where more than 50,000 spectators could be seated to watch the spectacular performances offered by the Emperor, including fights between gladiators and wild animals and even naval battles that took place in the arena.
- At the end of our guided tour of the Colosseum it is time for us to savour a delicious lunch in one of the the city's typical restaurants.
- In the afternoon, our excursion continues in the direction of St. Peter's Basilica, the biggest church in the world, the cradle of Christianity, built on the tomb of St. Peter. In the free time available we can admire the rich decorations of the Basilica, the innumerable masterpieces including the Pietà, the magnificent marble statue by Michelangelo, and the altar where the Pope celebrates mass.
- Once we have taken our last souvenir photos, we board the coach again for our return journey to the port.
What you need to know
- The transfer to Rome takes approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- The guide will join the excursion group directly in Rome.
- This excursion is conducted mainly on foot, it is therefore recommended to wear comfortable shoes.
- During religious functions the visit to the Basilica will only be a tour of the exterior.