CANTERBURY AND LEEDS CASTLE
Sightseeing, Cultural, Lunch not included
A historical and cultural excursion around Canterbury and its magnificent English Gothic cathedral, one of the great symbols of Christian England.
What we will see
- Canterbury Cathedral
- The tomb of Thomas Becket
- Leeds Castle
What we will do
- We set off by coach from the port of Dover and cut across the county of Kent, also known as the Garden of England for its lush, verdant landscape.
- Our destination is the city of Canterbury, one of the oldest centres of Christianity in England and historically one of the most important sites of pilgrimage in northern Europe, as recounted in Geoffrey Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales.
- We begin with a walk around some of the city's typical, narrow streets before arriving at Canterbury Cathedral, a magnificent building that over the years has been extended and modified on various occasions at the behest of the various Archbishops of Canterbury.
- After a guided tour around the exterior of the building, we will be free to explore the interior and stop to admire the tomb of the most beloved saint in England, Archbishop Thomas Becket, who was assassinated in this very church in 1170, a victim of the fierce rivalry between Church and State at the time.
- After our visit to the cathedral, we have some free time for a bite to eat and stroll around the centre of Canterbury.
- Back on board the coach, we make our way to Leeds Castle to immerse ourselves in its romantic atmosphere of princely grandeur. We explore the castle and its beautiful grounds then make our way back to Dover.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early to avoid disappointment.
- The itinerary may be subject to change.
- There is no guide during our internal visit of Canterbury Cathedral and Leeds Castle, as the provision of such service is not allowed at these sites.
- Lunch is not included. We recommend you try one of the area's cafés during the allocated free time.
- The local currency is the Pound Sterling. Euros are not accepted.