DISCOVERING KIRKWALL ON FOOT
Sightseeing, Cultural, Shopping
This tour is the perfect choice for anyone who loves to walk, stepping back in time and discovering the legends of an ancient city; plus, we get the chance to visit some of the most fascinating architectural sites in the Orkney Islands.
What we will see
- Kirkwall old town
- St. Magnus Cathedral
- The Bishop's Palace and Moosie Toor
- Earl's Palace
- Tankerness House gardens and Orkney Museum
What we will do
- A small boat will take us to Kirkwall where we will begin our walk through the old part of the city, the Viking capital of the Orkney Islands.
- Our first stop will be the wonderful St. Magnus Cathedral, which dates back to the 12th century and is built from red sandstone blocks. See why the "Light in the north" is considered one of the most beautiful medieval buildings in the north of Scotland.
- Around the cathedral lies a labyrinth of alleyways and winding lanes, which have remained more or less untouched by the passage of time. Walking between the houses, we will feel like we have stepped back in time whilst the sound of ancient tales still echoes around the walls.
- Our walk will continue through the heart of Kirkwall where we will come across the ruins of the Bishop's Palace, founded in the mid-12th century and later restored. The top of Moosie Toor, the biggest circular tower in the north-west of the palace, enjoys wonderful views of the city.
- A short distance away, we will admire the Earl's Palace, once home to the Orkney Islands' aristocracy. Considered the tallest example of French Renaissance in Scotland with its splendid architecture, it bore witness to many dark episodes during the tyrannical reign of the Stewart dynasty.
- At the end of our excursion we can visit Tankerness House gardens, now home to the Orkney Museum, which reveals the history of the Orkney Islands from the Stone Age to the modern day. We will have some free time here to explore the museum or stroll around before getting back on board the ship.
What you need to know
- Comfortable shoes are recommended.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.