THE MAJESTIC DUNROBIN CASTLE
With its conical turrets and fairytale style, Dunrobin Castle guarantees us a magical, special day, with rooms brimming with art works, and enchanting gardens overlooking the sea.
What we will see
- The Scottish Highlands
- Dunrobin Castle
- Inside the castle
- Castle gardens overlooking the sea
What we will do
- We board the coach and leave the port of Invergordon, heading for the wonderful countryside of The Scottish Highlands with its pretty towns, which include Tain, the oldest burgh in Scotland.
- We will soon arrive at our destination, Dunrobin Castle. We take the long tree-lined drive up to the entrance, which welcomes us with its fairytale French Renaissance style. Built during the Middle Ages, it has undergone various modifications and extensions, including work by Sir Charles Barry, the famous architect responsible for London's Palace of Westminster, who added his personal touch in 1850.
- We will now start our tour through the castle. It is composed of 189 rooms filled with furniture, paintings, tapestries and noteworthy works of art. We admire the castle collections, which we discover among the bedrooms, nurseries, studies and reception rooms. Among the items on show we find old furnishings, ceremonial dress, uniforms, weapons and a complete, fully-functioning, 19th-century fire engine. The whole visit is an opportunity to learn about the lives of the Earls and Dukes of Sutherland who have inhabited this regal abode since 1300.
- The next stage of the tour will see us explore the castle's exterior. We will walk freely through the beautiful castle gardens, designed and created by architect Barry, who was inspired by the gardens of Versailles. The enchanting walk is made more magical by evocative views of the sea.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early to avoid disappointment.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- Bags and rucksacks are not allowed inside the castle, and taking photographs is not permitted.