LOCH NESS AND THE RUINS OF URQUHART CASTLE
Sightseeing, Nature excursion
This half-day excursion will take us to the famous Loch Ness, known across the world for its mythical monster, to the picture-postcard Urquhart Castle, and to Inverness, capital of The Highlands.
What we will see
- Loch Ness
- Urquhart Castle
- Visitor Centre
What we will do
- We leave Invergordon by coach and head in a south-westerly direction, skirting the Cromarty Firth and passing through the villages of Muir of Ord and Beauly - with its evocative ruined Priory - to reach our final destination, the stunning Loch Ness, the deepest freshwater lake in Great Britain. Its dark abysses bring terrible stories to mind and visions of strange creatures, particularly the legendary Loch Ness monster.
- Located in a magnificent setting on the edge of the loch sits Urquhart Castle, which dates back to the 14th century and is one of Scotland's most photographed sites.
- Connected to the building is the new Visitor centre, in which we can learn more about the history of the castle from the exhibition and audiovisual materials available to visitors. In the same centre we can also discover more about the secrets that surround the loch, thanks to an incredible combination of lasers, special effects and digital audiovisuals that illustrate the history of the monster.
- We move to Clansman Hotel - which offers one of the best viewpoints around Loch Ness - where we will stop to take photos.
- We then head to Inverness, capital of The Highlands, for a brief city tour. This is an ancient city, but one that was almost entirely rebuilt during the 19th century. It is very pleasant to wander through its streets and along the tree-lined boulevards that flank the River Ness.
- In its city centre we will see some important buildings, such as the Victorian Gothic Town House. Originally the town hall, it is now the administrative centre for The Highlands. Not far from here we also find the Tollbooth Steeple, a 45-metre high bell tower.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.