THE MYSTERY OF THE LOCH NESS MONSTER
The tour involves a day-long trip along the banks of Loch Ness, the most famous lake in Scotland, in search of the mythical monster Nessie who has made it famous across the world.
What we will see
- Loch Ness
- Loch Ness Centre and Exhibition Experience
- History of the monster
- View from the Clansman Hotel
What we will do
- We leave Invergordon by coach and head in a south-westerly direction, skirting the Cromarty Firth and passing through the villages of Muir of Ord and Beauly with its evocative ruined Priory to reach our final destination, the stunning Loch Ness, the deepest freshwater lake in Great Britain. Its dark abysses bring terrible stories to mind and visions of strange creatures, particularly the legendary Loch Ness monster.
- We will visit the Loch Ness Centre and Exhibition Experience, which leads us through seven themed areas on a journey through time, from the origins of the world to the third millennium, to explain the evolution of the loch. An incredible combination of lasers, special effects and digital audiovisuals illustrate the history of the monster with information on various topics such as Scotland's geological past, its folklore and the various research projects carried out on Loch Ness. Some sceptics claim that the subjects photographed by cameras in the past are simply tree trunks or otters. However the loch is so deep and filled with unexplored caves and canals linking to the sea that no-one can say with any certainty that the monster is merely a legend.
- Leaving the Loch Ness Centre & Exhibition Experience, we move to Clansman Hotel which offers one of the best viewpoints around Loch Ness where we will stop to take photos.
- We then head to Inverness, capital of The Highlands, for a brief city tour. This is an ancient city, but one that was almost entirely rebuilt during the 19th century. It is very pleasant to wander through its streets and along the tree-lined boulevards that flank the River Ness.
- At the end of the excursion we will return to the port of Invergordon.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early to avoid disappointment.