Sightseeing, Nature excursion
An adventure in a super four-wheel drive to magical locations formed by the power of volcanoes, ice and time. We'll visit places where the forces of nature have made their mark on the nation's history, leaving some of the most incredible terrain for man to explore.
What we will see
- Frakkastígur Pass
- Four-wheel drive trail
- Lake Þingvallavatn
- The active Hengill volcano
- Nesjavellir geothermal power station
- Birch woods of Thrastarlundur
- Thousand waters trail
What we will do
- Shortly after leaving Reykjavik, we exit road number 1 and follow the pipeline to the Frakkastígur pass, where we begin our supertruck trail. The vehicles used for this excursion, designed to face particularly harsh conditions, can only be found in Iceland. They are the result of decades of innovations and technical advances developed on the island, from tinkering with old army jeeps to reach remote areas, to tailor-made monsters ideal for crossing the Antarctic and exploring the Icelandic Highlands, as well as speeding along the motorway.
- We'll discover the vehicles' true potential on this excursion. From the pass we can admire lake Þingvallavatn, the active volcano of Hengill, the geothermal power station of Nesjavellir and the surrounding area: a truly breathtaking panorama. Nesjavellir, officially inaugurated in 1990, feeds a 190 megawatt geothermal power station by exploiting a nearby series of boreholes and creating the largest "high-temperature" field in the country. This incredible geothermal system is one of the main sources of hot water for heating Reykjavik's homes.
- From Nesjavellir we take the gravel road facing lake Þingvallavatn, driving past lush countryside to the south and passing through constantly changing scenery until we reach the birch woods of Thrastarlundur. We take a quick break in this magnificent area before continuing our journey.
- Back in our supertrucks, we go off the beaten track to cross the "thousand waters trail". Our convoy will wind its way between brooks, streams and muddy banks.
- Before returning to the capital, these magnificent machines are put to their final test by climbing some of the nearby hills. Here our adventure ends and we return to tarmacked roads as we head back to Reykjavik.
What you need to know
- This excursion does not include the services of a guide. The driver will provide information in English.
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- This excursion requires a certain level of physical fitness.