SUDAVIK - THE KINGDOM OF ARCTIC FOXES AND OF AVALANCHES
Sightseeing, Nature excursion
A thrilling tour among characteristic villages and sceneries to the Arctic Fox Centre, where we will learn about the only native animal of the island before visiting the fantastic town.
What we will see
- Arctic Fox Centre
- Traditional music performance
- Old city
What we will do
- We will start our excursion from Ísafjörður dock, or Ice Fjord, known for its witch hunt which led to the exile of many people in the nearby peninsula in the 16th century. With its 2,600 inhabitants, it is the largest settlement of the western fjords and the cultural and trade centre of the area.
- On our way to Súðavík, we will enjoy the lovely panoramic views of the city and of the surreal Snæfjallaströnd mountain range, with its picturesque grey and white streaks caused by the snow of the Drangajökull glacier on the other side of Ísafjarðardjúp, the largest fjord of the western part of the country.
- Súðavík was established at the end of the 19th century as a village of 200 when a Norwegian fishermen opened two whale stations Alftafjörður creating jobs.
- The village extends along the coast and is divided into two parts - the first is known as the old city and was hit by an avalanche in the winter of 1995, which destroyed part of it. The other part is known as new city" and was built nearby after the avalanche at the foothills of Mount Kofri, which is believed to have magical powers.
- The Arctic Fox Centre is located between the two - a research centre which also houses a museum and a welcoming café and where we will learn important aspects of the only animals native to Iceland and their relationship with man over the centuries.
- At the centre, we will stop for coffee before visiting the magnificent church of Súðavík, rich in history. It is believed that it was donated by Norwegian whale hunters that "transferred" it here after "stealing" it from its original location.
- On the opposite side of the road, we will notice some small but well-finished wooden structures, houses destroyed by the avalanche and other interesting structures
- Before continuing with our excursion, we will listen to some live traditional music.
- Last but not least, we will go on a panoramic tour and stop at the entrance of the old city, where we will meet some experts on local history.
What you need to know
- This excursion includes an English speaking guide.