THE FLÅM RAILWAY AND A CYCLE TOUR THROUGH THE FJORDS
Sightseeing, Nature excursion
A unforgettable tour along the famous Flåm railway line - an engineering masterpiece - to admire some of Norway's wildest and most spectacular views, with rivers that cut through impressive gorges, rolling waterfalls that skim the steep sides of the mountains and villages perched on rocky outcrops: prepare for the spectacle of nature in all its grandeur!
What we will see
- Flåm railway station, train trip along the banks of the River Flåm, Rjoandefossen Falls, Mount Vibmesnosi
- Nåli, Myrdalsberg, four levels of railway
- the Kjosfossen waterfall, Myrdal, Berekvam station
- By bike to Flåm
What we will do
- We will start our excursion by taking a train from Flåm station, on a level with the Aurlandfjord. The Flåm railway is one of the world's most interesting engineering masterpieces. The line measures only 20 km in length, leaves from the station of Flåm at sea level and reaches Myrdal station, at a height of 867 m, offering some of Norway's wildest and most spectacular views.
- On board the train, we skirt the banks of the river Flåm, known as one of the best rivers for salmon fishing in the west of the country. As we pass, we will see, on the right hand side, the characteristic Rjoandefossen falls, which boast a 140 m perpendicular drop, and the impressive peak of mount Vibmesnosi, which is 1269 m in height.
- Having passed through the longest tunnel in the Nåli area, we find a fantastic panorama opening up before our eyes. To climb the 300m of the Myrdalsberg, the line is composed of four levels. From this point, as the train stops on line four, we can admire the other three lines. We will also be able to see the old road that was built between 1895-96 at the same time as the construction of the Bergen-Oslo railway line, which was inaugurated in 1909. The line climbs three bristly hills, covering 21 hairpin bends before reaching a beautiful waterfall. We will then take a brief break close to the Kjosfossen waterfall, getting off the train for a moment to photograph the 93 m drop of the falls (with a total height of 220 m).
- During the trip the train will slowly descend towards the most interesting view points. We will cover the whole track to Myrdal, the final station on the route at 867 m above sea level, before returning to Berekvam station, approximately half way from Flåm station.
- Here we will leave the train and take bicycles on towards Flåm. The descent by bike is via a narrow gravel track along the river banks, with spectacular views of the falls, mountains and valleys. If we want, we can fill our water bottles directly from the river, before continuing along the path.
What you need to know
- Appropriate clothing and comfortable sports shoes are recommended.
- We recommend that you bring a small rucksack with a bottle of water and a waterproof, windproof jacket.
- Helmets and bikes will be supplied by the local agency.
- A height check will be carried out in advance.
- Maximum weight: 120kg.
- To participate in the excursion, you need to know how to ride a bike and be in good physical shape.
- Participants must be at least 12 years of age.