THE HERDAL VALLEY, ALPINE FARM AND TASTING OF LOCAL SPECIALITIES
Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Tasting
A perfect excursion for those wishing to combine the splendid countryside of the fjord and the discovery of local traditions and lifestyle, tasting typical products of the alpine farm located at the heart of the fjord: an unforgettable journey.
What we will see
- Ørnevegen: views of the fjord and the Knivsflå alpine farm
- Seven Sisters Waterfall and Suitor Waterfall
- Village of Eidsal and the village of Norddal
- Summer farm of Herdalssetra: unspoilt nature, grazing animals and local specialities
- Heregga Peak: wood houses with turf roofs
- Herdøla River
What we will do
- The excursion begins on the Ørnevegen (literally, "Eagle Road"), which rises via 11 hairpin bends to the highest point of the fjord, at a height of 620 metres. From here, we can enjoy the spectacular scenery of the fjord and the Knivsflå alpine farm. This is the steepest section of road out of Geiranger and is the only means of communication with the outside world during winter!
- From here, it is possible to get a glance of the Seven Sisters, a group of 7 waterfalls which, together with the Suitor Waterfall (located opposite on the other side), provide one of the most beautiful natural spectacles of all of the Norwegian fjords... as well as being the subject of a fascinating legend.
- We reach the village of Eidsdal in Norddalsfjord and follow the coast up to the village of Norddal.
- Leaving the fjord, we head into the valley until we arrive at the summer farm of Herdalssetra. Operational for over 300 years, it is formed of 30 old houses and for hundreds of years, has housed goats and cows, lambs and horses which are free to graze. Here, old traditions are more alive than ever. Various types of white and brown goat's cheeses are produced here, as well as other mountain delicacies typical of the Norwegian fjords. These form the basis of a special tasting session, which is sure to delight the palate.
- The dwellings we will see are small wood houses with turf roofs, purposely built under the large Heregga Peak, which protects them from the frequent avalanches .
- On the journey to the valley, we can admire the Herdøla River, which receives the waters from numerous waterfalls.
- We arrive in Eidsdal then return to Geiranger via, once again, Ørnevegen, the "Eagle Road".
What you need to know
- The excursion includes walking on steep and slippery ground, we therefore recommended wearing comfortable, non-slip shoes.
- Should the Herdalssetra farm not be accessible following winter, the visit will take place at Herdal Home Farm, which is located at a lower altitude.
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems and pregnant women.