A WALK ALONG THE VARDEN PATH
Sightseeing, Cultural, Tasting
A wonderful way to discover Molde, with its beautiful roses, the pristine natural beauty of the Romsdalsfjord and the Trollstigen, a winding mountain road with breathtaking views.
What we will see
- Varden viewpoint
- Tasting of local specialities
- Romsdal Museum
- Reknes Hill
- House of Culture
What we will do
- Our excursion takes us to Molde, administrative centre of the county of Romsdal. The city is located on the shores of the Romsdal fjord, surrounded by hills that provide a backdrop of 222 peaks that are covered in snow almost all the year round. Molde is also known as the City of Roses, thanks to the fragrant rose nurseries that benefit from the mild climate and fertile soil of the sun-drenched slopes surrounding the city.
- We climb to 400 m above sea level to the Varden viewpoint, where the belvedere offers wonderful views over the Romsdalsfjord, the myriad of little islands that lie scattered in front of the city and the mountains on the other side of the fjord.
- Next on our itinerary is Molde itself, a city that is full of shops. The city owes its rather modern appearance to its destruction during the Second World War, after which it was largely rebuilt.
- We cut through a residential area, featuring typical, wooden, family homes, almost all of which are surrounded by well-tended gardens.
- We stop for a snack and a rest and we do so in the best way possible, by sampling a local speciality, svele, a traditional Norwegian variety of pancake.
- Our tour then takes us to the Romsdal Museum, a large open-air folk museum complex comprising 50 traditional buildings that not only recount the history of Norway, from the Vikings to the present day, but also provide examples of the architecture, traditions and the way of life of the local population.
- As we climb up Reknes Hill behind the museum, we can enjoy a view of the city and its surroundings from a different perspective.
- We then head downwards again, and wind our way through the city to the House of Culture.
- At the end of the excursion we head back to the jetty.
What you need to know
- You need to be physically fit to take part in this excursion.
- This excursion involves tackling a demanding route with long stretches on foot through the forest.
- This excursion involves approximately 2 hours of walking.
- Appropriate sportswear and suitable trekking shoes with non-slip soles are recommended.
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.