GLACIER SAFARI PADDLE
Nature excursion, Entertainment
A day dedicated to one of the wonders of nature that Norway offers us; the Briksdal Glacier. Adventure through the mountain and be enchanted by the surrounding countryside and the majesty of the glacier, paddling in its own waters by the green shades.
What we will see
- Old church in Olden
- Lake Floen
- Lake Olden
- Melkevoll Glacier
- Briksdalen Glacier* Paddle Experience
What we will do
- We begin our excursion from the village of Olden, nestling at the head of the Innvikfjord, an arm of the Nordfjord. A pleasant village at the estuary of the River Oldeelva, surrounded by towering mountains, superb waterfalls and several glaciers, Olden is a popular resort for both residents and tourists alike.
- Starting from the town centre we can see the old church, dating back to 1759. The red church a little further along the valley was built in the thirties and was a gift from the American painter and millionaire Singer, who remained spellbound by the peace and tranquillity of the village of Olden, where he used to spend his summers. He collected works of art and furniture and his home has been turned into a museum.
- We continue along the banks of the little Lake Floen and then along Lake Olden, one of the most beautiful in Norway with its typical, narrow, elongated shape, as far as Rustøen at the far end, where the wide fertile upper valley is dotted with multicoloured farms.
- Our journey continues amidst numerous waterfalls descending from the glaciers, and the long, white tongue of the Melkevoll glacier opens up before our eyes. The road winds its way up amongst the woods and ends at the Briksdal Inn.
- At this point, we continue on foot up the tortuous, steep path, which becomes increasingly narrow as we reach the summit. The final stretch is scattered with rocks before ending at the glacier lake.
- We've come to the most adventurous and exciting part of our day, because we'll be able to paddle across the green, icy waters of the majestic Briksdalen glacier, typical of the glaciers in this area.
- We'll then make our way back to the Briksdal Inn along the same path to pick up our coach and return to Olden.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early to avoid disappointment.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems and who suffer from travel sickness.
- Minimum age: 4.
- No information will be given during the paddle experience.
- This excursion includes an English speaking guide.