STAVANGER: NATURE, HISTORY AND FLAVOURS
Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Tasting
Discover the city of Stavanger, center of the Norwegian oil industry and the country's fourth largest city by population. You will be fascinated by the charm of the historic center and enjoy a visit to Byrkjedalstunet a restored cheese factory, now home to a local market with typical products and souvenirs, while exploring the many faces of the city.
What we will see
- Coach ride along the River Dirdal
- Historic centre of Stavanger
What we will do
- We will begin our excursion with a coach ride along the River Dirdal to Byrkjedalstunet, a restored cheese factory that dates back to 1920. The site is now home to a restaurant, hand-made candle store, and small shops selling souvenirs and handicrafts. During the visit, we will also have the opportunity to sample typical Norwegian pancakes before enjoying some free time to explore the surroundings.
- We will continue our journey by coach to Gloppedalsura, the largest boulder field in Norway; some are even as big as houses!
- Returning to Stavanger, we will cross the historic centre and admire the city's many sites of interest en route.
- Before returning to the ship, we will stroll through Old Stavanger, characterised by narrow streets lined with picturesque wooden houses dating back to the 18th and 19th century, when activities such as herring fishing and shipbuilding contributed to building the city's fortunes, turning it into the main commercial and industrial hub it has been ever since. Once home to sailors, craftsmen and merchants, this unique area, located just a few minutes from the port, is now at the centre of the city's most ambitious redevelopment project.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early to avoid disappointment.