VISIT TO BAUSKA CASTLE AND RUNDALE PALACE
Sightseeing, Cultural, Meal included
Latvia's castles are a treasure waiting to be discovered: we will visit one of the most famous tourist destinations in the country, admiring its perfectly restored interiors and sampling some local specialities.
What we will see
- Bauska Castle
- Town Hall Square, St. Peter's Church, House of the Blackheads
- Rundale Palace
What we will do
- This fantastic day will be dedicated to visiting the region of Semigallia, the "bread basket of Latvia".
- We will board the coach and set off for Bauska, a small town 66 km south of Riga, to visit its 15th-century castle whose ruins and fortified wall are still visible today. It has been restored and is now home to the town's museum.
- Afterwards, we will discover the highlight of the excursion: the 18th-century Rundale Palace, the most beautiful and important baroque-style building in the country, as well as an extraordinary example of the first creative period of Italian architect Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli, who also designed the famous Winter Palace (now home to the Hermitage Museum) in Saint Petersburg.
- We will enter the Palace to admire its perfectly restored interiors, with furniture, porcelains and authentic 18th-century paintings. The Gold Room, the White Room and the bedroom of the Duke of Courland Ernst Johann Biron are all highly evocative. The palace also boasts a magnificent park in the French style.
- At the end of the visit, we will have lunch at an enchanting restaurant by the palace.
- Having rested and feasted on local delicacies, we will be ready to return to Riga.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- This excursion involves long walks on rough terrain, it is therefore not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- A supplement must be paid to take photographs and film inside Rundale Palace.