THE CURONIAN SPIT
Sightseeing, Cultural, Meal included
Unspoiled forests and high sand dunes on the Curonian Spit are lapped by the Baltic Sea. In this unusual place we are introduced to the spirit of Lithuanian tradition and villages where time seems to stand still.
What we will see
- Juodkrant_ and Hill of Witches
- Great Dune with view of the desert and the Baltic Sea
- Nida and Thomas Mann Museum
What we will do
- One hour from Klaipeda, the small resort of Neringa is surrounded by the enchanting forests and dunes of the Curonian Spit National Park. In the treeless areas, this extraordinary sand spit that separates the Baltic Sea from the Curonian Lagoon gives us the impression of being in the heart of the Sahara Desert.
- We stay on the coach during a short ferry ride which takes us to Juodkrant_ and the Hill of Witches. As we walk along the paths of this enchanted place, we venture into Lithuanian folklore, populated by legendary witches, devils and monsters skilfully carved into the wood.
- Our second stop is the Great Dune; it is 52 metres high and, from the top, we enjoy a fantastic panoramic view of the desert and the Baltic Sea.
- We then stop at a local restaurant for lunch followed by a walk around the historic centre of Nida, where we see the old fishermen's houses, the traditional fishing boats and weather vanes decorated with scenes from Neringa's past.
- Our trip to Nida will end with a visit to the Thomas Mann Museum, located in the writer's beloved summer house. On the way back to our ship on our coach, we will pass through the city of Klaipeda.