THE HILL OF WITCHES IN JUODKRANTE AND THE DEAD DUNES
Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Lunch not included
An excursion to discover the most mystical and traditional places of the Curonian Lagoon, from the fishermen's cottages in Juodkrante to the legendary witches, from the sand dunes to Klaipeda's city centre.
What we will see
- Curonian Lagoon and Juodkrante
- Amber Bay, modern sculptures and traditional fishermen's houses
- Hill of Witches
- Klaipeda city centre
What we will do
- After a coach transfer from the port of Klaipeda, we board the ferry, sitting in comfort on the coach to cross the Curonian Lagoon. Juodkrante (literally "Black Coast"), the oldest fishermen's village of the isthmus, is located on the Curonian Spit.
- This resort with its old-world charm is famous for the Amber Bay, where the gem has been extracted since the 19th century. It is impossible to miss the modern sculptures that decorate the coast and the traditional fishermen's houses, dating back to the 19th century, adorned with unique decorations.
- We then come to the Hill of Witches, where we can unleash our imagination thanks to the beauty of the folkloristic wooden sculptures. Local legends such as those concerning the Giant Neringa, the Eagle, the Queen of Snakes, the Dragon beheaded by a Prince, the Elf, the Hunter and many others will spring to life before us.
- On our way back to Klaipeda, we will stop at the Dead Dunes which are striking sand dunes that have swallowed up numerous villages over the years and from where we can enjoy a fantastic view of the Curonian Spit National Park.
- We then come to Klaipeda city centre by coach. The city was founded in 1252 by German crusaders and has always stood out from other Lithuanian cities due to its charm and architecture. The city, once called Memel, dates back to the times of the Teutonic Knights; it boasts a glorious past as the capital of the Kingdom of Prussia.
- Today Klaipeda is a modern city with unique and original architecture, which can be seen in its small historic centre, but is also distinguished by the kindness and hospitality of its inhabitants.