AMSTERDAM WALKING TOUR
A very particular tour to discover the oldest and most transgressive area in Amsterdam - the “Rosse Buurt”, i.e. the red light district. We walk along the cobbled roads of this lively corner of the city between picturesque canals and Medieval alleyways as windows illuminated by red neon lights, sex shops, night clubs and coffee shops pass before our eyes to discover the trendiest, more vibrant and eccentric soul of the most famous temptation district in Europe.
What we will see
- Red light district in the De Wallen area
- Maze of neon-lit Medieval alleyways and canals
- Oudezijds Achterburgwal and Oudezijds Voorburgwal: the oldest canals in Amsterdam featuring the Erotic Museum and the Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum
- Windows with prostitutes illuminated by red lights, sex shops, night clubs, strip clubs and coffee shops
What we will do
- Amsterdam’s red light district (“Rosse Buurt” in Dutch) boasts an ancient tradition dating back to the times when the city was one of the main European ports for international trade. It was precisely in this area that sailors and merchants looked for enjoyment along the canals surrounding the port. Already in 1300, some women walked around the alleyways carrying red lanterns, the light making them more attractive to sailors. That is why bars and entertainment venues soon appeared in the area.
- Today the red light district is a maze of Medieval alleyways in the heart of the city in the area known as De Wallen, south-east of the central station and around neon-lit canals.
- The area developed around two of the oldest canals in Amsterdam: Oudezijds Achterburgwal and Oudezijds Voorburgwal. These two lovely parallel canals constitute the main street in the southern part of the red light district. Along the first, we find the Erotic Museum which retraces the steps of eroticism through sculptures, photographs and drawings and the Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum describing the history and use of hemp, marijuana and hashish.
- The guide who accompanies us on our walk around Amsterdam’s red light district illustrates the main sights that make the area famous. We pass by windows where scantily dressed prostitutes pose lit up by red lights as well as many sex shops, night clubs, strip clubs and the unmissable **coffee shops, which are more widespread here than in other parts of the city.
What you need to know