FUNICULAR RIDE AND HIKING ON MOUNT FLØIEN
Sightseeing, Nature excursion
An unmissable excursion by funicular and on foot to enjoy spectacular views of Bergen and its surroundings from the top of Mount Fløien; breathtaking views that embrace the fjord, the city and the surrounding landscape!
What we will see
- Fløibanen Funicular, Mount Fløien, panoramic view of Bergen
- Hiking on the Fløien Hills, Lake Skomakerdiket, the Blåmansveien hiking trail
- Rundemansvegroad and Rundemanen
What we will do
- We begin our excursion at the Fløibanen funicular station, which has been in operation since 1910. Once aboard, we are transported up the 26% gradient to an altitude of 320 metres a journey of about 8 minutes to reach the summit of Mount Fløien (one of the seven mountains that surround Bergen, its name derives from the wind vane placed at the summit many centuries ago to indicate the force and direction of the wind to sailors entering or leaving the port below). Both the funicular ride and the belvedere at the top offer a magnificent panorama of Bergen and its surroundings.
- After the funicular ride, we begin our walking tour of the Fløien Hills, a very popular recreational spot with the inhabitants of Bergen all year round. We walk along one of the many gravel roads, which leads us through woods with gentle hills, until we come to the small, idyllic Lake Skomakerdiket; we then take the main Blåmansveien hiking trail.
- As we walk uphill, the view becomes increasingly spectacular: we can see the fjord with its many islands, the city of Bergen at our feet and the North Sea in the distance to the west.
- After walking for about 2.5 km, we come to a crossroads. If the weather is favourable, we take the Rundemansvegroad and, as we leave the trees behind us, a broad panorama opens before us on all sides. We then come to the highest point, Rundemanen, at an altitude of approximately 570 metres, where we stop to rest and enjoy the fresh air.
- Depending on how physically fit you are, and the weather conditions, there is the possibility to extend or shorten the hike. In any case, at the end of the hike we go back down to the city with the funicular.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early to avoid disappointment.
- This excursion involves walking uphill for about 230 metres, out of a total of 8 km that cover various types of terrain; you are therefore advised to wear trekking or sports shoes and comfortable multi-layered clothing.
- Minors under 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
- Participants should bring along clothing that is appropriate for the weather conditions, a backpack for personal items and water to stay hydrated along the way.
- To participate in this excursion, you must be physically fit; the tour is not recommended for those who have mobility problems, heart problems or knee problems.
- Depending on where the ship is berthed, the excursion may include transport from the port to the starting point of the tour.