A POSTCARD FROM ST. MAARTEN
A short coach journey provides full views of this gracious island, divided into two areas. From the Dutch territory of Philipsburg, we will head over to French territory, Marigot, taking in the changing views and the gradual variation of styles and atmospheres which differ from part of the island to the next.
What we will see
- View of Saba Island
- Monument on outskirts
- Grand Case
What we will do
- We will leave the cruise terminal by coach and head to the town of Philipsburg, the capital of the Dutch part of the island to enjoy a panoramic tour. We will be welcomed by a wealth of colours and sounds along the palm-lined roads with the brightly painted houses and we will soak up the Caribbean atmosphere, typical of these islands.
- Before leaving the city heading north, we will stop at a panoramic spot to admire and photograph the island of Saba, the smallest in the Dutch Caribbean, dominated by a dormant volcano which rises from the seawaters in front of Philipsburg.
- We will head northwards, where the French part of the island can be found. From"Welkom" to the French "Bienvenue", we will observe the changes in the island's culture and architecture. Along the journey, we will pass the monument which denotes the border between the two dominions, modified 16 times between the period 1816 and 1948.
- On French soil, our tour will lead us to the residential area of Grand Case, a typical fishing village which became famous as the gourmet's paradise, renown globally for the high quality of its cuisine and it is no coincidence that it has been rebaptised, the "culinary capital" of the Caribbean.
- We will arrive at Marigot, the French capital of the island, where we will have time to explore the city and admire the traditional stores and top-end restaurants as well as luxury boutiques, least forgetting the cafés which flank the roadside.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- There is limited availability of English-language guides.