GRENADA, SPICE ISLAND
Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Meal included
Also known as "Spice Island", Grenada is one of the world's leading producers of nutmeg, amongst other things. A memorable day upon the discovery of the island's typical aromas and flavours.
What we will see
- Dougaldston Spice Estate, a nutmeg producer in Gouyave, the River Antoine Rum Distillery
- Lunch in a restaurant, Creole cuisine
- Grand Etang National Park, encounter with mona monkeys
What we will do
- From the capital of St. George we will travel along the panoramic road along the western coast up to Dougaldston Spice Estate, where our encounter with the fascinating world of spices awaits.
- We will continue our research tour with the Gouyave nutmeg factory, where we will learn the secrets of the ageing, production and selection process governing this precious spice. There are many nutmeg-based products and range from syrup to massage oil, nail polish to painkiller spray.
- The coach will head northwards, where we can admire a view of the Grenadine island archipelago, to then arrive at the ancient River Antoine Rum Distillery, which dates back to 1785.
- It is hard to believe that this place is a genuine distillery and not a museum: despite its ancient origins, it is, in fact, a well-designed structure with ecocompatible elements.
- For lunch, we will move onto a restaurant where we have an opportunity to savour typical Creole dishes.
- After our feast, we will return to the port briefly stopping at the Grand Etang National Park, a magical place inhabited by mona monkeys.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- There is limited availability of English speaking guides.
- Taking photos inside the Gouyave factory is not permitted.
- The itinerary may be subject to change.