THE MAYAN RIVIERA BETWEEN MAJESTIC RUINS AND MAGNIFICENT LAGOONS
Nature excursion, Cultural, Meal included
An excursion along the Mayan Riviera to discover two authentic Mexican gems: the Tulum archaeological site with its majestic structures offering amazing views and the Xel-ha park, where the sea meets underground freshwater springs creating a beautiful lagoon.
What we will see
- Playa del Carmen
- Tulum archaeological site
- Xel-Ha park
- Buffet lunch
What we will do
- We go to the pier where we take the ferry to Playa del Carmen, on the Yucatán coast, in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya. From here, a coach takes us to our first stop - the ancient Tulum ruins, perched on a rocky cliff with the Caribbean Sea on one side and luxuriant jungle on the other.
- Dating back to the 13th century, Tulum is the only Mayan city built by the sea and one of the few surrounded by walls. A local guide leads us to discover this imposing spectacular archaeological site, telling us all about life in Mexico at the time of the Mayans.
- We visit the majestic structures of this stronghold, the most representative of which is certainly El Castillo, the tallest building facing the sea and used as a lighthouse and watchtower. It offers magnificent views and the sea breeze invigorates us after the climb up its steep steps.
- After the visit, we continue to Xel-Ha park, a fantastic chain of lagoons connected by bridges where caves and cliffs contribute to creating an amazing scenery.
- Sea water mixes with the cool underground freshwater currents and reflects the blue of the sky, making Xel-Ha the most beautiful natural aquarium in the world.
- We take a refreshing dip and go snorkelling among hundreds of tropical fish that inhabit this protected inlet, sunbathe in a peaceful oasis and admire the tropical vegetation surrounding the lagoons.
- At the end of this relaxing culture-filled day , we delight our palates with an excellent Mexican or international buffet.
What you need to know
- The ferry transfer from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen takes approximately 45 minutes each way.
- The coach transfer from Playa del Carmen to Tulum takes approximately 45 minutes each way and the road may include uneven stretches.
- You must pay a tax (approx. 5 U$D) upon entry to use your camera within the archaeological site.
- We recommend you wear comfortable shoes as we will be walking on rough ground during the visit to the archaeological site.
- Do not forget to bring swimwear, a towel, sunglasses and sun cream.
- There is limited availability of English speaking guides.
- Lockers, towels and snorkelling equipment will be available with a deposit of 25 U$D.