SNORKELLING AT THE CHAMPAGNE REEF
Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Swimming, Shopping, Entertainment, Drink included
A snorkelling session surrounded by hot springs as if we were in a champagne glass: this is what awaits us in this fantastic excursion to discover the Champagne Reef marine ecosystem among turtles, tropical fish and the exceptional fauna populating this corner of paradise.
What we will see
- Picturesque village of Pointe Michel
- Irie Safari water sports centre in Champagne
- Snorkelling session at Champagne Reef
- Relax at Irie Safari: showers, changing rooms, beverages, souvenir shops and solarium
What we will do
- We leave the port behind us as a short coach transfer takes us south of Roseau to the picturesque village of Pointe Michel and to the modern Irie Safari water sports centre in Champagne, one of the best snorkelling locations in the world.
- Once there, we are given our snorkelling equipment as well as information on the services of the centre and on the adventure that awaits us.
- Coral reef tours are conducted by PADI-certified professional diving instructors who tell us everything we need to know about how to use the equipment, safety and the marine species we might spot underwater.
- The Champagne Reef coral reef is located in the Soufrière-Scott's Head Marine Reserve and is considered the leading spot in Dominica for snorkelling and diving and it is among the first five locations in the Caribbean for these activities.
- It takes its name after the gases leaking from the fumaroles at the bottom of the sea and reaching the surface in the form of drops similar to liquid crystal, giving the impression of swimming in a huge glass of champagne.
- The barrier is spectacular: we can admire a myriad of fish and coral including sponges, lobsters, parrotfish, imbricated turtles, green turtles and sea horses. We can also see the wreck (cannons and chains) of a 17th-century Spanish ship.
- After our snorkelling session, we can enjoy the comfort of the Irie Safari centre where we take advantage of the showers, changing rooms, drinks, souvenir shops and even a solarium with views of the magnificent Caribbean Sea.
What you need to know
- Minimum age: 6 years.