A DAY IN NEVIS
Sightseeing, Swimming, Meal included
This is the ideal tour to visit the Queen of the Caribbean in one day: a complete excursion to explore the Island of Nevis, from the historic capital city to the golden beaches and from the former plantations that have now been converted into resorts to the aroma of rum. And to conclude, a well-deserved relaxing rest on the beach and a dip in the Caribbean Sea!
What we will see
- Island of Nevis: Charlestown, city centre, Golden Rock Plantation Hotel
- Pinney's Beach: lunch at the Lime Beach Bar
- swim in the Caribbean Sea
What we will do
- We leave Basseterre, capital city of the island of St. Kitts, on board a water taxi for a 45 minute journey along the coastline of the south eastern peninsula to reach the sister-island of Nevis, also known as the Queen of the Caribbean.
- We arrive at Charlestown, capital city of Nevis, situated at the end of a bay; with 2,000 inhabitants, it is the biggest residential and business centre of the island and boasts a number of colourful decorated colonial buildings, some of which house museums. The city was built on rocky land at a strategically protected point between Fort Charles and Fort Black Rock. Over the centuries however this location proved to be unfavourable: indeed nearly all of the original wooden buildings were destroyed by earthquakes.
- A short transfer by minibus across this peaceful city takes us to the place of birth of the American statesman, Alexander Hamilton, the first Secretary of the Treasury of the United States of America where we can discern the simple elegance of the Caribbean architecture and lifestyle.
- We continue on our tour along the main road of Nevis, which goes all the way round the island, to reach the Golden Rock Plantation Hotel, a beautiful hotel immersed in a former plantation situated next to a rain forest boasting beautiful tropical flora that does not normally grow at a low altitude. Here we go for a walk in the resort where we can take pictures of some wonderful panoramic views.
- While the guide is illustrating the history of the island, we arrive at another former plantation that has also been converted into a hotel.
- The last stop of our excursion is Pinney's Beach, one of the most beautiful beaches of the Caribbean, with coconut palm trees along almost all of its length and lovely views of St. Kitts. A delicious lunch is served here at the Lime Beach Bar, a typical Caribbean style bar where we can savour a choice of two glasses of rum punch, local beer or fruit punch.
- After lunch we have time for a dip in the calm waters of the Caribbean Sea and a relaxing rest on the beach on a comfortable lounger.
What you need to know
- This excursion includes an English speaking guide.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- Do not forget to bring swimwear, a towel and sun cream.