EXPLORING GRAND TURK BY COACH
A comfortable but exciting sightseeing tour of Grand Turk by coach which enables us to see the island’s main attractions, taste the local produce and visit stunning places where souvenir photographs are a must.
What we will see
- United States Air Force Facility, John Glenn's spacecraft
- Waterloo Building
- 19th century Churches
- Grand Quay Salt Company
- Typical food and drinks
- Pillory Beach
What we will do
- We leave the ship behind us and pass in front of the United States Air Force Facility, where astronaut John Glenn was interviewed in 1962 after his mission in space. From the coach we can see the reproduction of John Glenn's spacecraft (the original is in the entrance of JAGS Airport, named after the Prime Minister and national hero James Alexander George Smith Mc Cartney).
- We then pass in front of the Waterloo Building which dates back to 1815 and today is the official residence of the Governor who is the representative of Queen Elisabeth II.
- In the course of our tour of the island we encounter various examples of 19th century churches built in classical Bermudan style which then give way to natural panoramas such as the disused salinas and the horses and donkeys which live in the wild.
- A photo stop is planned at the lighthouse which was built about 150 years ago and which is still in operation.
- The next stop is at the Grand Quay Salt Company, also known as the 'Salt House': a reproduction of a 17th century salina where we learn about the history of the salt industry in Grand Turk.
- We visit one of the major souvenir stores where we can sample some typical local food and drinks (not included).
- Last stop: Pillory Beach, the splendid beach at Bohio Resort. After a short tour of the place, and if we have sufficient time, we can decide whether to enjoy the beach or to return directly to the ship.
What you need to know
- This is not a seaside tour, however a visit to the beach is optional.
- The vehicle driver provides the excursion guide in English.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- A shuttle bus is available approximately every 30 minutes which will bring you from the beach to the ship.
- You are advised to wear light, comfortable clothing.