THE RIVIERA MAYA: UNDERGROUND CAVES, YUCATÁN TRADITIONS AND CUISINE
Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Meal included
We explore impressive underground caves and enjoy a sensational swim, we learn something about ancient Mayan culture, we even enjoy a traditional lunch, and we can dedicate free time to do some shopping or to relax on the beach.
What we will see
- Playa del Carmen
- Chaak Tun cenote
- Underground river swim
- The game of tlachtli, offerings to the Mayan god Chaac and Mexican lunch
- Shopping on Fifth Avenue or relaxing on the beach
What we will do
- We go to the pier where we take the ferry to Playa del Carmen, on the Yucatán coast, in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya.
- Here, we leave the luxury hotels and the vibrant dynamism of the Riviera behind us and venture into the rural areas to reach the historic Chaak Tun cenote, an ancient Maya holy site.
- The first explorers of this region were totally amazed by this cenote*, an underground network of rivers that is considered to be the biggest in the world*.
- A true marvel of nature, this cenote came into being with the action of water filtering through limestone rock which, over thousands of years formed stalactites, stalagmites, columns and other intriguing rock formations**.
- Accompanied by our guide, we make our way through wide open spaces that are full of natural light until we reach an underground fresh water river, where we even have the fantastic opportunity to have a swim.
- We will be provided with all that is necessary for our safety, including a helmet and a life jacket, to explore this totally unique ecosystem.
- To complete this unforgettable excursion we will also have the opportunity to play tlachtli, the ancient game played by the Mayas that is similar to handball, we burn some copal resin which the Mayas used to offer to Chaac, the Mayan rain god, and savour a delicious Mexican lunch including Pollo Pibil, a traditional Yucatan chicken dish.
- We then return to our coach to continue with our tour of the Mayan Riviera. When we reach the pier at the Playa del Carmen, we have an hour to wander around the boutiques of the fashionable Quinta Avenida (Fifth Avenue) or simply have a break and relax under an umbrella on the beautiful white sand beach.
What you need to know
- The ferry transfer from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen takes approximately 45 minutes each way.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- To preserve the surrounding environment, sun cream can only be used after swimming in the river.
- Do not forget to bring swimwear, a towel, sunglasses and sun cream.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems and those who suffer from claustrophobia.
- Pregnant women are not allowed to take part in this excursion.