ST. LUCIA: VOLCANIC ISLAND AND MUD BATH
Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Drink included
Discover the natural beauty of St. Lucia as you wind your way through banana and coconut plantations, lush tropical vegetation and above all enjoy a mud bath at the island's famous sulphur springs where a true "volcanic treatment" awaits us.
What we will see
- Two fishing villages, rainforest and banana and coconut plantations
- Twin peaks of the Pitons
- Town of Soufrière: sulphur springs, sulphur fumaroles, boiling water pools, crater's lunar landscape, mud bath pools
- Marigot Bay
What we will do
- Our panoramic drive takes us through two traditional fishing villages and skirts around the lush rain forest, where the landscape is dominated by coconut and banana plantations.
- As we descend towards the town of Soufrière, the impressive twin peaks of the Pitons come into view. The two cone shaped volcanic plugs (with an altitude of 750 and 797 metres respectively) have become a symbol of the island and have been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Next we visit the sulphur springs. This is the only volcano in the Caribbean that is accessible by car thanks to a road that goes around the crater. The volcano has been dormant since the early 18th century. Here, you can see close up the sulphur fumaroles and the bubbling pools of water and the lunar landscape of this volcanic crater.
- Thanks to the sulphur seeping through the rocks, this place is famous for its mineral mud baths that have renowned therapeutic properties. The Empress Josephine used to bathe regularly in the spectacular Soufriere caldera. We will also have the opportunity to have a truly "volcanic treatment" and experiment with the wonderful mud pools at the bottom of the springs where, thanks to the air that is full of sulphur fumes, we can benefit from all of their therapeutic properties against arthritis, asthma and skin disease. An expert guide explains how to make the most of this wonderful natural resource. At the end of the treatment, we enjoy a cool refreshing drink.
- On our return journey to the port, we have a brief stop at the famous Marigot Bay (described by the English writer James Michener as the most beautiful bay in the Caribbean), an exceptionally beautiful natural yacht harbour and haven for artists and writers. Here we have a magnificent panoramic view of the natural bay that has been used as a film-set in many famous films.
What you need to know
- This excursion will be led in English.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- Minimum age: 8 years.
- The itinerary of this excursion crosses winding and uneven roads, guests must therefore be able to walk on this type of road and climb approximately 30 steps to the sulphurous springs and mud baths.
- Bathing in the natural tubs is optional and is not recommended for guests allergic to sulphur.
- Available space is limited.
- We recommend wearing light clothing and comfortable shoes.
- Do not forget to bring swimwear (underwear), a towel and sun cream.
- We recommend wearing dark clothing when entering the mud baths, as they may stain clothing.
- You need to be physically fit to take part in this excursion.