VISIT TO THE ELMS MISSION ESTATE AND KIWIFRUIT COUNTRY
Sightseeing, Cultural, Tasting
Two interesting guided tours of two very different attractions: The Elms Mission Estate, the mission founded by Archdeacon Brown in 1835, and Kiwifruit Country, a park dedicated entirely to the kiwifruit, its benefits and uses. A panoramic view of the city of Tauranga completes our excursion.
What we will see
- Coach excursion
- Surfers’ beach in Mount Maunganui
- The Elms Mission House and Estate, guided tour
- Tauranga centre
- Kiwifruit Country, guided tour of the orchard
- Snack, free time and shopping
What we will do
- At the port, we will board our coach and travel a short distance on a road that runs along a great beach for surfing in Mount Maunganui. Then we will cross the bridge at the port of Tauranga and head towards the Elms Mission House and Estate.
- Founded in 1835 in the heart of Tauranga by Archdeacon Brown, New Zealand’s pioneering missionary, this historic building surrounded by immaculate gardens has been restored in keeping with the original style and adorned with a fascinating library and a chapel.
- A guided tour of the house will reveal what life was like there in the 1800s and we can even see the original furniture.
- It was here that the Maori people in the region had the opportunity to learn about Christianity and be taught to read and write and run a household.
- We will then return to the coach and travel through the centre of Tauranga before leaving the city behind and visiting Kiwifruit Country, a tourist attraction celebrating the kiwifruit, once known as the 'Chinese gooseberry', and the incredible health benefits it can have.
- When we arrive, a guide from the complex will join us on the coach for a tour of the orchard. We will stop in the kiwi plantations and learn all about this famous plant, and we will also see the factories where more than a million trays of kiwifruit are produced every year.
- New Zealand’s most common fruits are grown in the area dedicated to horticulture. These include nectarines, peaches, apples, pears, citrus fruit, hazelnuts, almonds, macadamia nuts and avocado.
- Once we have finished our tour of the orchard, we will take a seat in the café for a delicious, freshly made mid-morning snack with a slice of fresh kiwifruit.
- Before getting back on the coach and returning to the ship, we will have a little free time to try a selection of fruits, juices and liqueurs or buy some souvenirs and body lotions in the centre’s shop.
What you need to know
Please Note: Order of itinerary location may alter to suit passenger numbers. Passengers under the age of 18 years cannot be served alcohol.