CURIOSITIES AND MARVELS OF THE WESTERN COAST
A fascinating trip along the western coast of the island starting from a charming traditional temple featuring two perfectly-preserved statues and a lush forest-garden where one can feel in perfect harmony with nature, ending at a lake in a cave generating a unique optical illusion: see for yourself!
What we will see
- Arahurahu marae (temple)
- Amazing sacred statues (tikis)
- Stroll in the Vaipahi gardens
- Maraa Cave: unique optical illusion
What we will do
- The first stop on our excursion is the Arahurahu marae (temple), a religious site dedicated to the ancient indigenous gods and used for important ceremonies.
- We visit this fascinating place which gives off strong energy vibes: it is the best preserved traditional temple on the island with its upright impassive sacred statues (tikis) still in excellent condition.
- The tour then takes us for a stroll through the amazing Vaipahi gardens, a true paradise on earth with paths winding their way through a forest made of chestnut, pine and tropical trees as far as a magnificent natural waterfall. Surrounded by such lush prosperity, we soon feel at one with nature.
- We then start making our way back and stop at the Maraa cave at the foot of a hill and featuring a lake with crystal-clear waters formed from infiltrations from an adjacent basin.
- We admire the cave's unique optical illusion: because of the reflections from the water, the lake appears much smaller than it actually is. By throwing a stone towards the back wall, you realise that the even strongest throw will not reach it!
What you need to know
- This excursion will be guided in French or English, subject to availability.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.