THE ILHEUS OF JORGE AMADO AND OF COCOA COLONELS
Cultural, Meal included
Let us retrace the locations mentioned in the novels of Bahian author Jorge Amado and discover the most fascinating places, breathtaking scenery and flavours of this “cocoa city”.
What we will see
- House of Tonico Bastos
- Cabaret Bataclã
- Rua Arthur Lavigne
- Palacete Misael Tavares
- House of Jorge Amado Foundation
- Vesúvio restaurant
- Tasting session of local products
What we will do
- Our first stop after leaving the port of Ilhéus is the House of Tonico Bastos, notary and Bohemian figure known for his romantic conquests and for being the inspiration for the protagonist of a famous novel by Bahian author Jorge Amado (Gabriela, Clove and Cinnamon).
- After taking a few pictures, we head towards the historic cabaret hall Bataclã, which is also mentioned in the novel. A favourite meeting point of cocoa tycoons at the beginning of the past century, they also visited the casino and cabaret hall. Nowadays, this lovely restored building is home to a restaurant, shop and stage for old-style photos.
- We then stroll along Rua Arthur Lavigne, known also as Rua dos coronéis (Street of Colonels) and we stop to photograph the Palacete Misael Tavares, an imposing Neoclassical palace that was once the residence of an agricultural entrepreneur known all over the city.
- We will visit the House of Jorge Amado Foundation, located in what used to be the home of the author during his childhood and teenage years and where we find out about his life.
- We then head to Vesúvio, the oldest and more popular bar and restaurant of the city since the time of the colonels. In addition to being a popular meeting place in the centre of Ilhéus, Vesúvio is also mentioned in Jorge Amado's novels.
- Our tour ends with a visit to Fazenda Provisao, where we can admire fantastic scenery, rivers, woods and mountains, and the “Colonel’s house”, furnished with antiques. After retracing the history of the cocoa colonels, we can enjoy some local cuisine.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- Comfortable shoes are recommended.