MONTEVIDEO AND JUANICO WINERY
We are in Uruguay - in addition to visiting the magnificent city of Montevideo, we must of course taste its famous local wines. On this excursion, we can enjoy the best of both worlds.
What we will see
- Montevideo city centre and harbour
- Seafront and Graf Spee wreck
- Plaza Independencia
- Batlle y Ordóñez park, Carreta and Obelisk of Montevideo
- Estadio Centenario-Historical Monument of World Football
- Prado park
- Juanico winery, cellars and tasting session with food
- Winery store
What we will do
- Our tour starts in the amazing city of Montevideo, where 19th-century atmosphere and 20th-century buildings live in perfect harmony with lovely parks and white beaches.
- We visit the city centre and harbour, where we learn about the role of the Montevideo port during the Second World War with the Battle of River Plate.
- Our guide tells us the story of the battle, famous for the Admiral Graf Spee battleship, sent to the waters of the south Atlantic Ocean in the weeks before the start of the war. After sinking many adversary British ships, it became severely damaged and had to shelter in Montevideo, where it was later dismantled. During the explanation, we can see the wreck just below the water**.
- Next stop: Plaza Independencia, built in memory of General Arigas, and Batlle y Ordóñez park, named after Uruguayan President José Batlle y Ordóñez. There are many monuments in the park, such as the La Carreta bronze statue and the Obelisk dedicated to those who drafted the first Constitution.
- Last but not least, a visit to Estadio Centenario, built in 1930 for the first football world cup and declared a monument by FIFA, and on to the Legislative Palace and Prado Park. We then head towards the Juanico winery, located in the heart of the colonial residential area and considered the leading exporter of Uruguayan wines.
- The visit continues with a tour of the cellar and a wine tasting session accompanied by bread, crackers, a selection of cheeses and cold meats.
- Before returning to the port, we visit the winery store to buy some authentic Uruguayan wine to take home.