TREKKING IN THE LOKOBE NATURE RESERVE
An excursion aimed at those who love adventure and nature: we'll cross the island's evocative hinterland, paddle in traditional dugout canoes and hike through a luxuriant forest. The picnic that awaits us at the end will be extremely welcome!
What we will see
- Hinterland of Nosy Be
- Bay of Ambatozavavy
- Excursion in a traditional dugout canoe
- Ampasipohy base camp
- Lokobe nature reserve and hiking in the forest
- Picnic at base camp
What we will do
- On board a small coach we head for the interior of the island of Nosy Be, partly on dirt roads, through plantations of ylang-ylang pruned into bizarre shapes to facilitate the harvest of their intensely perfumed flowers.
- We reach the Bay of Ambatozavavy where we leave the coach and board our next means of transport: the traditional wood dugout canoe with outrigger.
- We'll paddle through the calm shallow waters for about an hour until we reach the base camp of Ampasipohy, where we will begin our exploration of the Lokobe rainforest, which has been made a Nature Reserve to protect its native flora and animal species.
- A fascinating hike in the company of local guides will give us the chance to enjoy the luxuriant vegetation and, with a little luck, we can spot some of the indigenous animal species, such as chameleons, boa constrictors and lemurs, an extremely rare species of primate.
- At the end of this full immersion into nature, we'll recharge our batteries with a delicious picnic lunch served in a building at the base camp, before returning to our dugout canoes and heading back to the ship by coach.
What you need to know
- Transport and facilities in Madagascar are not necessarily of the standard usually found in developed countries.
- The local boats used in this excursion are generally quite small, so there is a risk that participants will get wet.
- To participate in this excursion you must be able to swim.
- The colour of the water, and visibility, may vary depending on the weather.
- Don't forget to bring swimwear, a towel, sunglasses and sun cream.
- Guests who wish to take part in the forest trek are advised to wear comfortable shoes with a non-slip sole, and bring a pair of plastic flip-flops or sandals to wear when climbing in and out of the pirogue.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- The tour does not feature a guide however a local escort will be present.