HIKING IN THE AMBER MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK
Nature excursion, Drink included
Visit the most popular natural attractions in Madagascar: the luxuriant Amber Mountain National Park, in the hinterland of the large island, with gurgling waterfalls, ferns and volcanic lakes. A true immersion into nature.
What we will see
Interior of Madagascar
Amber Mountain National Park: Grand Cascade
What we will do
- Leaving the port of Diego Suarez in an off-road vehicle, we head south, crossing the hinterland of Madagascar with its evocative and varied panoramas.
We then enter the Amber Mountain National Park* which stretches over some 18,200 hectares, gathered around the volcano of the same name, a highly popular destination which, since it opened in 1958, has become Madagascar's main natural attraction.
Here we set off on a hiking trail through the forest where, with a little luck, we can spot various species of lemurs, including the crowned lemur and Sanford's brown lemur, the brookesia minima – the smallest and rarest chameleon in the world, tortoises and turtles.
We then continue towards the Grand Cascade, a beautiful waterfall that pours its waters into a natural swimming pool surrounded by rocks and covered with ferns.
What you need to know
- Transport and facilities in Madagascar are not necessarily of the standard usually found in developed countries.
- Given the large number of vehicles used, we cannot guarantee that a member of the ship’s crew will be on hand to assist with communication.
- Appropriate sportswear and suitable shoes with non-slip soles are recommended.
- This excursion involves travelling over rough, unpaved roads in an off-road vehicle and a long stretch of walking in the forest. As such, we do not recommend this excursion to guests who have back problems or who are otherwise not at peak fitness.
- Wildlife sightings are not guaranteed, since they depend on the behaviour of the animals themselves.
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early to avoid disappointment.
- We recommend bringing insect repellent and a long-sleeved, cotton top when visiting the park.
- The excursion does not feature guides but some local guides will assist groups providing information during the main stops. Guides for each language are limited; if they are not available in English, the excursions will be conducted in French.
- The capacity for the jeeps is for 4 to 5 people. We cannot guarantee that families or groups of friends will be able to travel together in the same jeep.