TOP EXPERIENCE: PHILANTROPY TOUR - PINNAWELA ELEPHANT ORPHANAGE
Sightseeing, Local Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Cultural, Entertainment, Meal included
The perfect excursion for nature lovers who wish to see Pinnawela's elephants close up and discover how they are looked after.
What we will see
- Pinnawela: Elephant orphanage
- Buffet lunch
- Poo Paper Shop
What we will do
- We will leave the port of Colombo by coach and head towards Pinnawela, one of the island's most famous attractions.
- After a scenic journey of over two hours, we finally arrive at the Elephant orphanage, located in a park which spans a surface area of approximately 25 hectares. The elephant orphanage was created upon the request of the Government of Sri Lanka in order to take care of orphaned elephants. In 1975, the year it was established, the park was home to just 7 elephants. Today, it is home to over 60 which have been found abandoned in the forest.
- We will have the chance to see how the elephants are fed and looked after by the park's staff.
- We enjoy a buffet lunch and before returning to the ship, we have the chance to visit the Poo Paper Shop. The POOPOOPAPER™ products are handcrafted, natural , unique products made from poo of elephants.
What you need to know
- The coach transfer from Colombo to Pinnawela takes approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes each way.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- Comfortable shoes and sportswear are recommended.