Hong Kong (China)
FASCINATING LANTAU ISLAND AND THE COLOURFUL PO LIN MONASTERY
Sightseeing, Cultural, Lunch not included
A completely different atmosphere from that of the centre of Hong Kong, surrounded by enormous skyscrapers and a hive of activity: we will explore the island of Lantau, where the beautiful, lush greenery, the silence of the monasteries and the traditional rural environment of ancient Chinese culture take us back in time.
What we will see
- Lantau Island
- Po Lin Monastery
- Ngong Ping Village
- Tai O Village
What we will do
- Thung Chung Station is the start and end point of our tour is, where we arrive straight off the ship. From here, we take a comfortable coach first to visit the fascinating Po Lin Monastery, which it is often called 'the Buddhist world in the south'.
- In front of the monastery stands the giant 34-metre high statue of the Giant Buddha Tian Tan. A 100-step stairway leads us to the foot of the statue overlooking the rolling green hills of the island.
- Following our visit to this intensely mystical place, we go to Ngong Ping village below, specially created for tourists who arrive each year from around the world. Here we find many souvenir shops and local handicraft items, fun attractions for original photos and selfies, and a variety of dining options offering local and international products.
- We then head straight to another village, this time the small timeless traditional fishing village of Ngong Ping. Among its various curiosities we can admire and photograph the colourful houses on stilts, the fish market and, with a little luck, perhaps we can also capture images of passing white dolphins which are often spotted in these waters.
- At the end of our tour of the village we climb back on the coach to return to Tung Chung and the ship.
What you need to know
- The itinerary may be subject to change.
- The excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- Space is limited, so be sure to book early.
- The excursion is only for guests not disembarking in Hong Kong.