CASUAL PETRA: THE PINK CITY, AMIDST CHARM AND DISCOVERY
Cultural, Packed lunch
A tour into the heart of the city of Petra with its fascinating Arab and Roman past, to discover the ancient temples and monuments carved out of the pink rock and the dazzling and majestic Treasury.
What we will see
- The Siq
- The Treasury
- Roman temples and tombs
- Roman amphitheatre
- Roads and buildings carved out of the rock
What we will do
- We depart from Aqaba and head towards Petra, the "rose-red city half as old as time". Indeed, it was founded by the Nabataean Arab tribe 2,000 years ago, and became an important stronghold, protecting the numerous passing caravans. Petra remained unknown for centuries, hidden between the mountains of southern Jordan until 1812 when it was rediscovered by a young Swiss explorer.
- After leaving the coach, we walk towards the entrance to the "Siq", the bed of a narrow serpentine river which winds through the gorge for approximately two and a half kilometres.
- Imposing rock faces soar up to a hundred metres on both sides. Out of the darkness emerges the sparkle of the The Treasury hewn into the rock, forty metres high and thirty metres wide.
- In addition to the Treasury, we visit the magnificent temples, royal tombs, the Roman amphitheatre and the burial chambers. The Romans took control of the city in 106 AD and built temples, baths, a triumphal arch, palaces, markets, in addition to the pre-existing Nabataean tombs and monuments, creating a city carved out of rock.
- At the end of the visit, we take the same route back to the tourist centre. We will have some free time to buy souvenirs before heading back to the car park where the coach is waiting for us.
What you need to know
- The coach transfer from Aqaba to Petra takes approximately 2 hours.
- The excursion includes a walk which takes approximately 45 minutes from the coach park to the site. We return on foot to the car park, taking the same route.
- Once we arrive at the site there is a walk of approximately two hours.
- Comfortable shoes and sportswear are recommended.
- We recommend that you bring a bottle of water with you.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- The excursion includes a packed lunch to be eaten on the coach.
- No food or drinks are allowed on the site.