COLLECTION: HERITAGE TRAIL - A WALK THROUGH OLD COCHIN
Cultural, Drink included
A real step back in time in Fort Cochin, where we admire the still visible signs of the presence of Portuguese, Dutch and British, which have granted to this magical place its fascinating character.
What we will see
- St. Francis Church
- Santa Cruz Basilica
- Parade Ground
- Chinese fishing nets
- Dutch cemetery.
- Private colonial style dwellings
- Brunton Boatyard Hotel
- Jewish Street
What we will do
- Our walk through the Fort Kochi district first takes us to two magnificent examples of churches built by the Portuguese: St. Francis Church, the oldest European church in India, and Santa Cruz Basilica.
- We then move on to the Parade Ground, a large park historically used first by the Portuguese to store their armaments and then by the Dutch and the British for parades and military training.
- From Kochi's seafront we admire a powerful symbol of the centuries-old Chinese influence on this coast, the Chinese fishing nets.
- Another testimony of the colonial era that we will visit is the Dutch Cemetery, the oldest European cemetery in India, set in a garden of flowers and palm trees, parallel to the beach.
- When we are almost at the end of our walk, we pass several private colonial style dwellings with Indo-European architectural features, such as the Pierce Leslie Bungalow, Koder House, Vasco House and the Old Harbour House.
- At the end of our fascinating walk, there is nothing better than a stop at the Brunton Boatyard Hotel to enjoy some cool shade on the seafront before returning to the quay.
What you need to know
The excursion involves lots of walking, it is therefore recommended to wear comfortable shoes.
Some coaches are not air conditioned.
We recommend wearing comfortable shoes.
Dress code that is appropriate for the places of worship to be visited is recommended.
Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early to avoid disappointment.
We inform our guests that buses do not meet the European standards: they are small, without microphone and air conditioning. Adverse traffic conditions could alter the duration of the excursion.
The streets may not be tarred.