CULTURE AND TRADITIONS OF LANGKAWI
A fascinating island, a borderland where different cultures and traditions meet and merge with each other and where each of the ethnic groups present leaves its special and unmistakable mark, making this enchanting place a must-see for anybody visiting the Far East.
What we will see
- Laman Padi and Museum
- Craft Cultural Complex
- Eagle Square
What we will do
- We set off on our excursion to discover the main places of interest for culture and tradition on this wonderful island. We go through green stretches of rice fields and pastures where we can spot various herds of cows and buffaloes.
- Our first stop is the Laman Padi, literally "rice field" in Malay. It is a vast complex of rice fields and vegetable gardens and also includes a small but interesting museum dedicated to the process and the evolution of the cultivation and harvesting of rice, a staple and irreplaceable food as well as the country's major export, just like the rest of the East in general. In the museum we are given an illustration of the various phases of the cultivation of this important cereal which has represented the backbone of Malaysia 's economic activity since ancient times.
- We then move on to the Craft Cultural Complex, on the north coast of the island. Nestling on the ridge of a hill overlooking the sea, in a particularly beautiful position, the splendid building houses a vast exclusive assortment of Malaysian crafts, fine batik work, bamboo, wooden and metal goods, rattan baskets of all sizes, finely crafted silverware, jewellery and much more.
- In this spacious complex dedicated to crafts we also find two galleries; one boasts a large display of local crafts and traditional Malay musical instruments, and the other features brightly coloured wedding gowns which are typical of the different local ethnic groups.
- The last stop of our excursion is Eagle Square, where we can have our photograph taken with the giant sculpture of an eagle which dominates the Kuah seafront.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- Comfortable shoes are recommended.