THE SWEET CHARM OF BONSAI AND THE SECRETS OF TEA
Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Lunch not included
A lush garden filled with countless bonsai plants represents a truly peaceful oasis for guests including enchanting ponds, traditional statues and stone bridges while the interesting museum dedicated to tea, a historic product on the island of Jeju, illustrates all the secrets of tea production. What is more, the curious phenomenon along the “Mysterious Road” adds a touch of quirkiness to our excursion.
What we will see
- The amazing Spirited Garden: a walk among bonsai
- The largest artificial waterfall on the island
- O'Sulloc Tea Museum: the history of tea and tea production
- Incredible phenomenon along the “Mysterious Road”
What we will do
- The first stop on our excursion is the amazing Spirited Garden, a botanical garden created by a single person, Seong Beomyeong, who started it in 1963 by tilling some wasteland.
- We walk along the paths and remain enchanted as we admire the incredible number of bonsai adorning the park among water pools and statues, archways and stone bridges.
- This is also the location of the largest artificial waterfall on the island of Jeju which gushes from the rocks into a placid lake, home to gigantic examples of Koi carps.
- We then move on to visit the interesting O'Sulloc Tea Museum where we learn more about the history of tea on the island of Jeju, as well as the secrets behind its production.
- The outdoor viewpoint offers amazing views of the largest tea plantation in Korea extending as far as the eye can see.
- Before returning to the ship, we drive along the so-called ”Mysterious Road” where an optical illusion generates a rather curious phenomenon: when parking downhill, it looks as if the vehicle is actually going uphill!
What you need to know
- The botanical garden is accessible to wheelchair users, however, there are dirt paths and a garden to cross to access the toilets.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- There is limited availability of guides that speak English and other European languages.