THE WONDERS OF NATURE AND THE CHARM OF TRADITION ON THE ISLAND OF JEJU
Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Cultural, Lunch not included
The alluring island of Jeju is home to amazing natural and folklore gems: a spectacular crater that is a UNESCO World Heritage Site offering endless views, a unique rock that has sparked off many curious legends and a charming traditional village with alleyways flanked by black stone houses, temples and statues where culture and local traditions survive and mingle undisturbed.
What we will see
- Spectacular Seongsan Ilchulbong crater
- Wonderful vies from the crater
- Stroll around the traditional village of Seongeup
- Unique Yongduam rock in the shape of a dragon head
What we will do
- We leave the port behind us and head towards the easternmost tip of the island, location of the Seongsan Ilchulbong crater or Sunrise Peak, a tuff cone formed by a hydrovolcanic eruption and connected to the rest of the island by an isthmus, declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site because of its significant landscape and scientific value.
- As we climb up the steep mountain, we walk along a path leading to the top of the crater. Our efforts are rewarded by spectacular views: we observe the crater bed covered in lush greenery and surrounded by 99 rocky pinnacles that make the crater resemble a crown. In the background, water as far as the eye can see and, behind us, the rest of the island with Seongsanpo village at the foothills of the crater.
- We move inland to visit thetraditional village of Seongeup, a small rural settlement where time seems to have stood still: houses made of black lava stone and thatched roofs, temples dedicated to Confucian rituals, stone statues and the ruins of a fortress. Here we can breathe in the authentic culture of the island of Jeju!
- Our last stop is the spectacular Yongduam rock, or Dragon Head rock, a particular lava formation along the western coast of the city of Jeju which has been shaped by the wind and the waves to resemble the head of a dragon with its mouth wide open. We admire the amazing views as we listen to the myths and legends inspired by this rock and then return to the ship accompanied by a host of amazing memories.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places and English guides are available.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with limited mobility.
- Money cannot be exchanged in Jeju, we recommend buying Japanese currency beforehand.