THE FASCINATING HAEDONG YONGGUNGSA TEMPLE
Cultural, Shopping, Lunch not included
This tour explores the only Buddhist temple to be constructed on the coast, where we will admire its unique and colourful architecture and immerse ourselves in its mystical atmosphere. We will conclude our excursion at the traditional Gukje market, the perfect place for souvenir shopping.
What we will see
- Haedong Yonggungsa temple
- Cave shrine and statue of Buddha
- Gukje market: free time and shopping
What we will do
- Our first destination is Haedong Yonggungsa temple, located in the mountains to the north of Busan. Dating back to 1376, the temple was built during the Goryeo Dynasty and boasts an impressive view over the ocean.
- We will ascend the magnificent staircase bordered by exquisite sculptures, and enter the temple to visit the famous underground shrine and its spring of holy water, admiring the great golden statue of Buddha that stands between the pagodas with the forest extending beyond.
- During the visit, we will stop to take photographs of the magnificent bridge that leads to the temple, perched above the cliffs and topped by evocative pagoda roofs.
- Having fully immersed ourselves in spirituality, we will leave the temple to visit the Gukje market, the largest traditional market in Busan. The market has a rich history: in the 1950s, refugees from the Korean war traded here to earn a living.
- We will have some free time to explore the vibrant, bustling market and browse the colourful stalls, with a wide variety of products on offer at very reasonable prices. A unique opportunity to find the perfect souvenir to take back home!
What you need to know
Please Note: Gukje market might be closed without prior notice. In such cases it will be replaced with the biff square right in front. The order of the itinerary may vary. The bus ride depends on the order of the itinerary. Space is limited, therefore we strongly suggest to book early. Due to travel season in Korea, heavy traffic jam will be expected. The clear view of the landscape is subject to the weather conditions. Wear low-heeled, comfortable walking shoes.It is strongly suggested to prepare Korean won before arrival.
English & other European tour guides are subject to availability.