DISCOVERY: HALF-DAY EXCURSION TO THE VILLAGE OF KUMBALANGI
Sightseeing, Cultural, Drink included
An excursion designed for those who love discovering fascinating new cultures. We will enjoy a delightful cruise in the waters off Kumbalangi and then discover the traditions of this quiet, peaceful village where the villagers' survival depends on Nature alone.
What we will see
- Cruise to discover local fishing techniques
- Village of Kumbalangi
- Everyday village activities
- Chinese fishing nets
- Kolkali performance
- Rickshaw ride
- St. George's Church
- Spectacular countryside with backwaters and fish farms
What we will do
- We travel from the port to the village of Kumbalangi, the starting point for our enchanting cruise, which offers an opportunity to observe the various local fishing techniques including veesuvala and padal.
- After leaving the boat we head for the village, where we are divided into small groups to watch the locals going about their day to day business: catching crabs and fish, preparing coconut milk punch, processing shellfish and coconut fibres, weaving rugs and oola madayal (special coconut leaves woven to create a roof covering), and making fishing nets.
- We then arrive at an open-air area with a view of the Chinese fishing nets, where we can watch how these nets are used and how the fishing technique known as papu mari works.
- The trip would not be complete without a Kolkali performance, a traditional dance in which the dancers move in a circle, singing and dancing and tapping each other with sticks.
- And that is not all: after the performance we enjoy a brief rickshaw ride through the narrow streets of the village as far as the coach, which takes us to St. George's Church , the oldest church in Kumbalangi, built by the British in the early 19th century.
- Our trip has come to an end and we return to Kochi, travelling through spectacular countryside with backwaters and fish farms on either side of the road.
What you need to know
- The quality of local coaches does not meet European standards; some do not have air conditioning or a microphone.
- The roads are not paved.
- We recommend you wear shoes that are suitable for walking.
- Dress code that is appropriate for the places of worship to be visited is recommended.
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early to avoid disappointment.
- The itinerary may be subject to change.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- The transfer to Kumbalangi takes approximately 1 hour.
- Do not forget to bring insect repellent with you.