Fujiarah Khor Fakkan
THE HISTORY AND TRADITIONS OF FUJAIRAH
Sightseeing, Cultural, Entertainment
The Emirate of Fujairah is relatively unknown, but its long history, traditions and breathtaking scenery on the Gulf of Oman make this excursion an unmissable treat.
What we will see
- Fujairah Museum
- Fujairah Fort (photo stop)
- Heritage Village
- Food market
- Coast road
- Al Badiyah Mosque (photo stop)
- Khor Fakkan
What we will do
- Our interesting excursion begins at the Fujairah Museum which, in addition to archaeological relics from nearby excavations dating back at least 3,500 years , houses a unique collection of coins that were in circulation prior to the foundation of the UAE in 1971.
- Our next stop is the enchanting Fujairah Fort, the oldest fortress in the Arab Emirates, where we stop to take photographs of the fascinating structure of rocks and mud; the colour of the walls varies according to the position of the sun, ranging from bright orange to pale brown.
- We continue our excursion, heading to the Fujairah Heritage Village, where we can really step back into the past and immerse ourselves in the lives of the area’s ancient residents. Here we discover their distinctive 'arish' dwellings, the 'shasha' fishing boats they constructed with palm fronds, their work tools and their traditional irrigation system.
- After this step back in time we head to Fujairah’s fish, fruit and vegetable market where we have some free time to wander around, enjoy a close view of the local way of life and even buy some typical local produce.
- We return to our minibus, which takes us on a captivating drive along the coast road, overlooking the Gulf of Oman, past stunning, unspoiled beaches and wild, craggy outcrops, all the way to our next destination, the Al Badiyah Mosque, the oldest mosque in the United Arab Emirates. The exact date of construction of the mosque remains unknown with some studies suggesting a date around 1446 BC and others around 640 AD. The two Portuguese watchtowers that overlook both the sacred building and the oasis village of Al Badiyah, on the other hand, date back to 1498.
- As we head back to the port of Fujairah, we pass through the city of Khor Fakkan in the Emirate of Sharjah, which is home to one of the UAE’s main container terminals.
What you need to know
- Due to the marked difference in temperature between the places we visit and our air-conditioned tour vehicles, we recommend taking a light cotton jumper or cardigan.
- In accordance
with local customs, It is highly recommended to wear appropriate clothing.
- Space is limited, so please reserve early.?